Sunday, May 17, 2009

Orange Impala (?)


A friend from up in Nassau County, Florida, e-mailed this pic to me a couple weeks back and I was looking for the right moment to publish it (I believe this was spotted in Fernandina). Well, the right moment never really arrived so I am just sticking it up here for everyone to admire.

My guess is that this is a Chevy Impala. I'd be curious if anyone knows if Chevy made these in Orange, or if this was a later paint job? Also, anybody have an idea on what year we're looking at here? Late 60s? Early 70s?

This brought back some memories for me because our family had one or two Impalas when I was a kid. I remember a purple one, for sure; for some reason I am recalling a blue one, too, but not sure if that was ours or not.

In other news, let's celebrate its Orangeness just as we celebrate the success of some of our awesome UT track & field stars. It's good to remember that Orange -- and UT sports -- comes in many shapes and sizes.

Jeff

4 comments:

  1. I hear from several folks today that this ain't an Impala. More to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a car buff but that looks like a Nova to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a note I got on Facebook:

    THAT is as '70 to'72 Chevelle with what looks like an SS kit. I could tell you the year if I could see the front.

    The '70 had quad headlights the '71 (or possibly '72) had single headlights also so could be that year too. Get your vintage GM intermediate body cars right. not an Impala (um, fullsize), not a Nova (too small).

    Looks good in Chevy Orange, rims are a little ghetto fo me but OK ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also Dan Scanlan, the car guy at The Florida Times-Union, e-mailed me to say this is a 1970 model Chevelle with a custom paint job.

    ReplyDelete